ENERGY > Electrolysis and Electrolysers
The energy production from Renewable Energy Sources (RES) is of special national interest and aligned with the H2020 strategy. The team is developing a Unitized Regenerative Fuel Cell (URFC), capable of operate either on Fuel cell or Electrolyser mode which can be used as backup system for RES. Main tasks under development:
- Numerical simulation of degradation and ageing mechanisms of electrolyser materials;
- Construction of station to test the PEM electrolyser and the URFC prototype;
- Development of a 1D+3D PEM electrolyser model;
- Set-up conditions enabling a stable operation in an extended range for PEM electrolyser and URFC prototype;
- Optimize PEM electrolyser and URFC prototypes using both commercially available and materials provided by collaborating partners.
The research is mainly established under the scope of the national collaborative project UNIRCELL (http://unircell.web.ua.pt/s).