ENERGY > Heat and Mass Transfer in Textiles
This study began around 2008 with the collaboration of researchers from CeNTI – Center for Nanotechnology and Technical, Functional and Intelligent Materials, Vila Nova de Famalicão and later with the collaboration of researchers from EMPA – Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology. It went from the simple to the complex and is essentially, but not exclusively, numerical. The topics already carried out are:
- Determination of the parameters required for numerical studies of heat and mass transfer through textiles – methodologies and experimental procedures;
- Effects of clothing and fiber properties on heat and mass transport, for different body heat/ sweat flows;
- Coupled effects of the body thermoregulation system and the transport of mass and heat in the fibers.
These studies gave rise to more applied ones that are currently under development:
- Analysis of the heat transfer in microclimates of garments with cylindrical geometries;
- Incorporation of a layer of PCM in fire protection clothing;
- Maximum exposure times of an individual to a hot and humid environment while performing a high metabolic rate activity.